Healthy Salsa Verde Recipe
Delicious, fresh and so much better than the salty jarred varieties.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
husked and rinsed
use 1 jalapeño for medium salsa and 2 jalapeños for hot salsa
red onion chopped
packed chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the broiler with a rack about 4 inches below the heat source. Place the tomatillos and jalapeño(s) on a rimmed baking sheet and broil until they’re blackened in spots, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, carefully flip over the tomatillos and pepper(s) with tongs and broil for 4 to 6 more minutes, until the tomatillos are splotchy-black and blistered.
- Remove from oven and set aside
- In a food processor or blender, combine the chopped onion, cilantro and 1/4 cup lime juice. Once the tomatillos are out of the oven, carefully transfer the hot tomatillos, pepper(s) into the food processor or blender.
- Pulse until the mixture is mostly smooth. Season to taste with additional lime juice pepper and salt, if desired.